Monday, July 20, 2009

Bad weekend

My week started out pretty good. I bought a belly brace for work on Tuesday which really helped. On Friday I was feeling pretty good, I went down for lunch at 10:30 and ate 2 tacos. I don't know why because I brought my lunch that day, I guess I didn't feel like fooling with it. Around 2 I started feeling nauseous. I sat in the office for a little while. It would not pass so I googled 33 weeks and nausea. It said that sometimes morning sickness comes back towards the end of the third trimester so I figured that was what it was. When I had morning sickness I would sometimes force myself to be sick to feel better so I tried that. It did not work so I headed home.
When I got home I got in bed to try and take a nap. My Dad was coming in town and we had reservations at Herbsaint at 7:30. I couldn't sleep and my muscles were so sore and achy. Evan got home around 6 and ran me a bubble bath. As soon as I got in I felt so much better. I thought maybe I am just worn out and I needed to relax a bit. I got dressed and headed to dinner.
Nothing on the menu seemed to interest me, which should of been my first clue. When the appetizers came I took a couple of bites and my stomach started turning. The entrees arrived and I could barely look at it. After a couple of trips to the bathroom Evan and I decided to leave early. We were not 10 feet from the restaurant when I started vomiting on the sidewalk, all the way to the car at the end of the block. On St. Charles. With traffic and streetcars and pedestrians. At that point I really didn't care. It was a horrible night. I spent most of it in the bathroom and when I wasn't in the bathroom I was either shaking or sweating in bed. My body hurt so bad I thought my blood had been poisoned and my skin was so sensitive. By 7 the next morning I was having pretty bad contractions from being so dehydrated. Evan and I headed to the hospital where they immediately hooked me up to an I.V. and put fetal monitors around my belly. My parents met us there. The heartbeat was good but I was still cramping and contracting. Once all of the fluid was in my system, the contractions slowed down and eventually went away. They drew some blood and sent it to the lab.
The nurse came in and asked me if I wanted some medicine for the nausea. I said no but as time passed it would not go away and I couldn't stand the thought of any more vomiting. When she came back in I asked her for it. She said it would make me drowsy. A few minutes later I started twitching and feeling restless. It got really bad and I just wanted to crawl out of my skin. I was absolutely horrible and lasted for 2 hours. Apparently I had had some adverse reaction to it. The doctor finally came in and told the nurse to give me a shot of valium. It made me tired but didn't seem to help with the twitching. I just wanted to go home. The nurse said I could leave once they saw improvement. I told her I was fine and that it had stopped. Once we got home I got in bed and slept for 3 hours straight, it was wonderful.
I've been in bed and on the sofa since. I've managed to keep down toast, crackers and chicken broth. I still don't know if it was food poisoning or some sort of stomach flu but it was fucking scary and I'm glad it's just about over.

1 comment:

  1. Im so sorry you went through that. I hope you know what the meds were that they gave you so you never have to feel that way again. Im glad the baby is okay too. Hang in there and feel better =)

    ReplyDelete

Lilypie First Birthday tickers