Top light dessert menus in New Orleans, No. 5: Muriel's Jackson Square
Muriel’s Jackson Square is a French Quarter icon with rustic, elegant dining rooms and a haunted upstairs lounge. Muriel's is also one of the few restaurants in the Quarter offering a gluten-free menu, available only at dinner. On that menu is a flourless chocolate cake.
One in pastry chef Cara Benson's broad range of desserts, the flourless cake is dense with butter, sugar, and chocolate, and stabilized by whole eggs. The cake is plated with a bright, velvety satsuma reduction. The chocolate and citrus pairing isn’t exactly new, but I never tire of it.
This probably isn't a low-fat dessert, but it's a good option for someone who can't stomach wheat. Besides, the gorgeous satsuma sauce shouldn’t be missed. Take half the cake home, or share it with a friend.
If you're in the mood for fruit, try Muriel’s apple-cinnamon crêpes. Diced, lightly spiced apples are folded in warm, skinny crêpes, then drizzled with caramel. Normally they come with butter pecan ice cream, but I asked the kitchen to substitute their peanut butter gelato instead, because gelato is fluffier and lower in fat than ice cream.
It was a good choice. The peanut butter gelato has such a sweet, nutty edge that it should be offered as a stand-alone dessert. You might also try Muriel’s vanilla bean gelato with these crêpes as well. There's no need for whipped cream.
Finally I tried the Louisiana satsuma flan, creamier than other varieties and topped with a candied zest that borders on sour. What I loved: the fresh basil garnish that adds a surprising and welcome earthiness.
Also on Muriel's dessert menu (and definitely not light) are brownies, bread pudding, cheesecake and a sweet potato pecan pie served with double cream.
One reason to resist: the slender French women lingering in Muriel’s dining room when I was there. They were sampling the light desserts, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment