Wow, I can't believe it's already been two weeks. When I was pregnant time stood still and now it's going by too fast. Teller is such a doll and I think I fall in love with him a little more every day. I decided to write his birth story, it may get a little graphic, just so ya know. (Jill- you might want to skip this one ;))
I had been having pretty intense contractions for a few days and by Wednesday night I was sure he was coming. I had been up all night hunched over in pain and when I went to the bathroom there was enormous pressure. I noticed some blood so I called the hospital and they said to come in. It was around 4 a.m. so I woke Evan, we grabbed our bags and rushed to the hospital. They monitored me for a few hours but my contractions would not get closer together so around ten a.m. they sent me home. I had another sleepless night with horrible, painful contractions between 7 and 10 minutes apart. I had a Dr.'s appointment that afternoon so I changed it to the morning hoping for some change and maybe an induction. She said I would most likely have a baby by the weekend's end but if not I would be induced on Tuesday. I told her I had not slept in days and was in a tremendous amount of pain. She prescribed me some ambien but would not give me anything for the pain (back on my shit list).
I decided to run some errands with Evan to try and distract me and hoping the walking would encourage the process. We went to the fabric store and the grocery where I had to stop every ten minutes to muscle through another horrible contraction. That night Evan moved the rocker in the living room and I tried to rock my way through them. I tried a bunch of different positions and this seemed to work the best. I took an ambien at 9 p.m. and woke up at midnight screaming in the middle of one. I stared at the clock for two hours and they were five minutes apart, finally!! I woke up Evan and said we gotta go, this is it. Driving to the hospital, I watched the clock and noticed they were getting closer and closer together. By 2:30 a.m. I was in a room and hooked up to monitors. They were right on top of each other and I was begging for medicine. He gave me a shot of some kind of painkiller that did absolutely nothing. I was 4 cm. dialated and the nurse said at this rate you should have a baby by lunchtime. At 5 a.m. I finally got the epidural. It was heaven and the first time in days I had not been in pain. Unfortunately, the epidural stopped me from dialating so eight hours later, when it wore off, I finally got to ten cm. The doctor said I could get another dose and wait two hours or go ahead and push.
I decided to push. My mom, dad, mima and sister were in the waiting room. I pushed for what seemed like forever. When they broke my water there was meconium in it so my room was full of baby nurses ready to suck Teller's lungs in case he gulped some in his first breath. I was totally drenched in sweat, grunting moaning and screaming my way through the worst pain I had ever felt. An hour and a half later he pulled him out (face up) (oww). It was such a sense of relief. Evan stood there in shock and they laid the baby on me. I was in total shock too. I could not believe I just did that. He was beautiful. The Doctor stitched me up and the nurses rushed him away to suction him. Everything was fine. They brought him back to take a couple of pictures and then brought him to the nursery.
I t was the most excruciating pain I had ever felt in my life but I wouldn't change it for the world. It was also the most amazing moment in my life. The days that followed were pretty rough. My blood pressure was high so I was being monitored around the clock, and to top it off, I had a horrible headache for three days. The next two days I was up all night again with doctors checking my pressure, temperature, drawing blood and getting urine samples. By the third night I sent Evan home and asked that nobody enter my room for 5 hours so I could get some sleep. The doctors agreed and I finally slept.
At the end of my pregnancy, between the 45 minute bathroom trips the intense contractions and just being all around uncomfortable, I was hardly sleeping at all. His 3 to 4 to 5 hour feedings at night are a godsend compared to what it was like before. He is an angel and I couldn't imagine life without him.
My recovery was harder than I expected. I went to the Dr. on Tuesday and my blood pressure is back to normal. She took a peek at the goods and said everything was healing nicely. It certainly did not feel that way but each day gets a little easier.
it goes so fast!!! im glad things are going well. Call me when you feel like it!
ReplyDelete